Profile

Ivan Ng
6th January 1989
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
The Philharmonic Winds
Singapore National Youth Orchestra

 

Tagboard

 

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lectures, Tutorials & Mee Pok
Dear Blog,

Well, the first week of school is over and I have already hit rock bottom.... Why? Because I'm working for my dream, and things are NEVER just given to people who don't work for it...
Let's take a look at my class first... I'm in class 1A which comprises of all the Diploma in Music Performance & Teaching... There are about 50+ students in my class, about half of which are foreign students, adding to the diversity... About 10 of my classmates have PERFECT PITCH... Allowing them to sing with flawless tuning in choir... Thank gosh I got to know one of them... Oh yes, I'm singing Bass 2 in the choir which is the lowest of all voices... Most of the foreign students started music at a very young age and most of the students majoring in Chinese instruments have already won competitions overseas, earning them scholarships to pursue further studies after NAFA... Western instrument players like myself generally don't have much to be said about... EXCEPT if you are a flautist from china with amazing technique...
I study Music Harmony (the craziest of all subjects), Music History, Sight Singing, Aural training, Music Technology and Study Skills...
School generally starts at 9am and you don't go home till about 6pm... You will be playing on your instrument for about 4 hours a day... Constantly practicing to improve overall playing... Lunch is at about 2pm and we usually head opposite to Fortune Centre for mee pok... I for one, prefer the wan ton mee... Free time is spent in the lounge... Either sleeping, doing Harmony/History homework or practising more...
By the time I reach home, it's about 8pm... I barely have the energy to work on my reeds let alone blog... On Mondays, I reach home at 11pm due to Clarinet Choir practice.... Yes, Music is truly unforgiving....

Feeling rather down,
Squiggles

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Alex's (YangQin Major) MeePok with chilli & added ketchup! Gross...


Squiggles boxed the green apple at 7:25 PM